Behind the 90 Minutes
The PFA Special Assistance Fund is designed to support any current or former professional footballer who may require financial assistance or other support to help overcome a major personal difficulty, within or outside the game. The Special Assistance Fund can provide access to:
- financial support;
- elite medical treatment and referrals;
- legal counsel; or
- specialist counselling services.
Reasons may include:
- health, including long term or career ending injury or illness;
- the termination of a footballer’s professional playing contract (without just cause);
- difficulty in the management of one of the many phases of transition in a player’s career, such as overseas relocation or retirement from playing;
- off field problems such as drugs, alcohol, relationships, depression or gambling; or
- any other compelling off field issue.
PFA Members are eligible for a cash grant of up to $10,000 in the absolute discretion of the PFA Chief Executive on a case by case basis. Players to have benefited from the Fund include those requiring external legal counsel to defend disciplinary proceedings or post contract surgery. Note that the PFA Special Assistance Fund replaces the former PFA Hardship Fund.
Please contact us for further information on our Special Assistance Fund.
Supporting documentsSpecial Assistance Fund
NEED MORE INFORMATION?